Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann (CCÉ), also known as Comhaltas, is the largest organisation involved in the preservation, development and promotion of Irish Traditional music, song, and dance, and the Irish language. An intergenerational, people-orientated voluntary movement, Comhaltas is rooted in community, whether that community is located in Ireland or throughout the Irish diaspora.
From its origins in Dublin and Mullingar in 1951 CCÉ has continued to grow and evolve during its 70 years in existence and now extends to 430 Branches throughout Ireland and overseas, together with County (Regional) Boards, Provincial Councils and the Central Executive Committee underpin Comhaltas' national and international annual programmes of cultural participative activities and events.
CCÉ has a network of 18 Cultural Centres with a variety of resources and facilities; these centres, together with the voluntary structures, provide services to 3 million people annually.
Comhaltas considers the matter of gender equity as part of its overall ethos statement, while also giving specific consideration to gender equity throughout its organisation's structures and activities within the following societal, social and legislative contexts.
CCÉ Ethos Statement
Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann's Vision, Values, Mission and Ethos are guided by many principles:
- The essence of our movement as we interpret it, is that it is all-embracing and inclusive of everyone regardless of race, religion or ability.
- The core values of our services have always been underpinned by honesty, openness, fairness, the dignity and humanity of each person, free from harassment, anti-sectarian and anti-racist.
- We believe in the intrinsic value of every person and we aim to further the dignity of all associated with our movement.
- We want each individual to avail of opportunities for self-expression in the pursuit of Irish traditional music, song, dance and language.
- We promote inclusivity, equal opportunity for all regardless of gender, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, religious belief or lack thereof, race, ethnicity or nationality.